Sunday, August 17, 2014

Marriage




Marriage-

noun
1. (broadly) any of the diverse forms of interpersonal union established in various parts of the world to form a familial bond that is recognized legally, religiously, or socially, granting the participating partners mutual conjugal rights and responsibilities and including, for example, opposite-sex marriage, same-sex marriage, plural marriage, and arranged marriage:

 Marriage is something I naively assumed would happen pretty fast after I graduated high school. Maybe that is my LDS upbringing talking, I guess I just assumed that I would find a good LDS boy immediately and live happily ever after. Four years later I am still single and definitely no where near marriage and I think somewhere subconsciously I feel like a failure about this. I think I have 3 or 4 close friends left who are neither engaged or married, it's like a virus or something, right now.  

At this point in my life I am enjoying what I am doing, I might joke and say I will be forever alone but I really don't want to get married right away. I think at some level I think it would be nice but, there are so many things I want to do and try before I settle down. There also is that small matter that I seem incapable of attracting a man haha. My best friend Sara and I have this thing that we say, 'clearly our personalities suck' because I really don't know what else it could be.

Another thing about my views on marriage that are different from what I was taught at church my entire life is this, I don't care what religion he is. If I love him and he loves me why should it matter? I will say that I am jaded when it comes to LDS guys, I have never had a good experience with then and my worst experience was with a 'good LDS boy' who turned out to be the world's biggest tool. I know for some of y'all reading this that this will be controversial but I just make myself care. I just want to be happy and what if the guy who will do that for me isn't LDS? I should immediately brush him off because he isn't? That just sounds very illogical to me, I want to be happy and so I will be with the person that makes me the happiest. 

I have seen a lot of marriage and divorce and unhappy marriages in my life and I don't want to be part of that. I looked up the divorce rate online and found this, ' PolitiFact.com estimated in 2012 that the lifelong probability of a marriage ending in divorce is 40%–50%'. That is a high percentage and I don't want to become a statistic, so I think I will happily continue being single until I find the one person who I can live the rest of my life with. I want to be like my grandparents and parents who have been together forever through thick and thin. My parents went through a very difficult trial early into their marriage that would have ended weaker relationships but my parents stayed together. I want to have a marriage like my parents, that is what I strive for. 




Until next time
<3
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment