Saturday, December 27, 2014

Christmas, Christmas, CHRISTMAS

This Christmas was a bit of a bittersweet one, one the one hand, I am in Italy spending it with my amazing Italian family. On the other hand, this was my first Christmas away from home and I got a bit homesick. My family has this tradition where we go to my Grandma's with my Aunt and Uncle and cousins and I missed that, a lot.

My Italian family also includes extended family in their festivities but, it wasn't my family so I was still a bit sad. I am going to take this time to explain the differences in the Italian Christmas to my American one! Firstly, here in Italy they open all the presents on Christmas Eve, this was pretty cool. We also had a dinner with My host dad's parents and my host mom's brother and sister-in-law, which excluded meat because apparently Catholics don't eat meat on Christmas Eve. That legitimately blew my mind, and I still can't really fully comprehend. Lilja googled the reason why they don't and I still don't get it. It is my firm belief that Jesus would want me to enjoy myself on the eve of his birth and, to enjoy myself I need Tashia's chicken salad and some Ham.

After we opened all of the presents we got ready and went to Midnight Mass, which I feel would have been cooler if I could have understood everything that was being said haha. Then, when Christmas morning came around (I say morning but I woke up at noon) and we went to Lunch with Ugo's extended family. That was...interesting. The place we went had horrific service, everyone got food at different times and it wasn't even that good, the dolce was on point though so, props for that. I only cried a little bit on Christmas Eve because I was homesick but as a whole, I kept it together! Yay me!

Now, let me tell y'all a bit about my 'murican traditions! Back in good ole Northern Virginia lives my family, my Grandma and my mom's Brother Jason and his lovely wife Tashia and all their super adorably amazing children! On Christmas Eve we all head over to my Grandma's and the fun commences! First we usually hang out for a bit eating Tashia's delicious chicken salad, which has me drooling right now just thinking about it, and other food that has been made. Then we get corralled by my Grandma into the living room where we usually all read one Christmas story each. From there my Uncle Jason reads from the Bible and Savannah and I usually tear up a bit because we think of my Grandpa who used to read it. After that we usually open one present each, from the cousins, then we head over to the music room and sing songs for the rest of the night until we all leave for our respective homes! This tradition is simple but is something very close to my heart. Christmas morning at my house can be a bit chaotic, especially when we are trying to drag my parents out of bed so we can start opening presents! In our family stockings are a big thing, we always open them first, youngest to oldest. Then we start with the presents and do the same order as the stockings, it is usually nice and loud and full of thank yous hugs and laughing. I missed that this year but, since I won't be in another country next year, I will be able to partake!

This year has been an amazing one full of adventures and opportunities and I couldn't be more thankful. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be able to live in a foreign country, or learn a bit of said country's language. I have been able to go places I never thought I would go and meet people that I know will be friends for life. I am excited because in less than a month my mom will be here and she will get to share in my adventure. After that I will be home and starting a whole different kind of adventure, university, with my best friend, I am also excited to be close to my older sister and her husband and get to know them better. I think 2015 has a lot of potential and I am very interested in seeing where it leads. I hope y'all had a very Merry Christmas and I hope you have an amazing New  Year!


Love Y'all!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment