Thursday, July 17, 2014

Birthdays and Sunburns


 This past week (as I said in my previous post) I was in Sardinia, Italy. Sardinia is more than I could have ever dreamed, the sea was so clear the weather was perfect and the company was amazing. While on holiday I also had my birthday! I am now the ripe old age of 22, people keep asking me if I 'feel' 22 but since I have never been 22 how am I supposed to know what it feels like? I don't really feel older, and I can't bring myself to listen to Taylor Swift tell me what 22 supposedly feels like.

I will admit though, it wasn't all sunshine and daisies there, I had a complete meltdown on my birthday. I have decided that I truely do miss my family, like, a lot. I used my host mom's phone since mine is broken and I called my mom and just cried to her like a little baby. By the end of the phone call I felt much better but since my phone is still broken, this means I can't talk to anyone in my family. I am still super homesick but hopefully i'll be able to buy a new phone soon and get over that homesickness.



My birthday is not only my birthday, not only is it Lilja's (who was a jerk and left me ;P), it is also my host dad's! We had an amazing tart like cake with tons of fruit, a big south african style barbecue and went to the beach and just generally had fun. I am so greatful I am with the family I am with, they are amazing and are always there for me when I need them. For my birthday I got a beautiful, matching coral bracelet and necklace, a beautiful hand fan and some Kerestase hair product! This will defenitely not be a birthday I forget, ever. My sister, Marisa, was telling me that when she turned 22 she was in Australia. I turned 22 here in Italy and now I think my younger sister Tiana wants to continue this tradition and turn 22 somewhere cool and foreign!
Me, Gio, Annamaria, Ugo, Matteo


Annamaria and I


here you can see a bit of my lobsterness
My nose got hit hard and is still red haha




Now onto the sunburn bit, I obviously forgot how white I was and how hot the Italian sun is because I turned into a lobster. Now though, I  am a nice bronze colour with minimal peeling. The FIRST day though I burned the back of my knees, after falling asleep on the beach. That is one place I can say I have never burned and hope to never repeat the experience. Holy crap it freaking hurts, and then my skin got so tight and it hurt to walk. I really know how to kick off a vacation ;). Anywhoooo this is what's going on in my life right now, tans, slight homesick depression, birthdays and broken phones.



Until next time
<3
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Haha I don't know if I ever told you, but I had a complete meltdown on my foreign 22nd birthday as well! It was for different reasons, but if Tiana *truly* wants to continue the full extent of the tradition, she will need to have a full meltdown out-of-country as well! :P I want your phone to be better so we can talk again! It has been WAY too long! :(

    ReplyDelete